New twitter plugin – to show tweets in rotation

As tweeted yesterday, I’ve just completed a new WordPress plug-in to show rotating tweets.

It’s easy to add using a widget or a shortcode in a post or on a page such as:

[rotatingtweets screen_name="mpntod"]

and, as a result, you get:

Just found a @jake_hampshire pie in my bag. Bought at @WineFestWinch last night. Just in time for a spot of lunch!

About 3 days ago from Martin Tod's Twitter via Twitter for Android

For a bit more fun, you can add some extra options such as:

[rotatingtweets screen_name="mpntod" rotation_type='toss']

About 3 days ago from Martin Tod's Twitter via Twitter for Android · reply · retweet · favourite

And the latest version goes for the official look:

[rotatingtweets screen_name="mpntod" official_format='1']
[rotatingtweets screen_name="mpntod" official_format='2']

You can also search:

[rotatingtweets search='#secretcourts']

You can see the widget in action on the top-right of this page.

You can download the plug-in from here.

All this was only possible due to the good people of WordPress, the Twitter API, jQuery and jQuery Cycle – and Syd who showed me jQuery Cycle in the first place  – so a big thank you to them too! :-)

This entry was posted in Technology, Twitter, Wordpress. Bookmark the permalink.

486 Responses to New twitter plugin – to show tweets in rotation

1. JOHN says:

Never mind: found literally 10 seconds after posting.

2. Pingback: Download Source Code Rotating Tweets (widget and shortcode) 1.7.16 |

3. Marcos says:

I’d like to know if it’s possible to show posts from a specific user using a specific hashtag?

Something like
    [rotatingtweets screen_name='your_twitter' search='#live']

4. Marcos says:

I’m getting

Problem retrieving data from Twitter.

Can you point me in the right direction to solve this?

• Martin says:

Does the tweet rotate to show other diagnostics? What errors are you seeing on the settings page?

• On this matter, see if this is the correct behaviour.

I used the following code:
      in the beginning of the page. But rotating tweets is being loaded at the end of the page.

In the config I put the loading of the JS in the header

• Martin says:

I’m not quite sure what you mean. Are you using a shortcode or a widget? Or some PHP?

Sometimes if a shortcode loads late in the process, the JS ends up at the bottom of the page.

• Marcos says:

Sorry, I added
          echo do_shortcode( “[rotatingtweets screen_name='chumbogordo' official_format='1']” ) ;

in the header.php file

Don’t think its that late right? Is this happening because the JS is loaded in the footer?

• Martin says:

That will put the code in the header – which may not be where you want it.

What’s showing in your HTML?

• Marcos Borges says:

This is the output of the shortcode

Problema ao recuperar dados do Twitter

And this is added at the end of the HTML:

• Marcos Borges says:

I just tested it using your user and it worked, even using twitter API info of another account. Then I tested it with a third account, worked the same. Again, not having configured the API.

Removed all info twitter configs in the plugin. And your user and the third user, still worked, and I got another error in my ChumboGordo account. Problem getting info from the account, please check this.

Couldn’t this be a config in the twitter account? Could you explain what is different in your account?

5. The settings page doesn’t show me any errors. I followed the steps, added all fields (consumers keys and access tokens) and it didn’t give me any errors.

6. Jumacbook says:

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for this wonderful plugin.
    It does exactly what i need, except that i encoutered the same problem than Marcos.
    i’m using this shortcode : [rotatingtweets search='from:username #specialtag' tweet_count='5'] (username and #specialtag are replaced here by generic terms)
    I’ve tried with the version 1 or 2 of the script, header or footer, https or no, and none of them worked. It keeps saying : error retrieving data from twitter, No Tweet results for search from:username #specialtag

And the most frustrating is that this end of the link is clickable and point to the twitter search that show me exactly the result that i want.

i’ve also used the and test with my username and specialtag and it worked.

if i search only one parameter username or specialtag it works well on the plugin, but it never retreive datas when i use two of them simultanately.

Thanks by advance for your support :)

• Martin says:

The problem is that Twitter search – as used by the API – only searches for a few days. What happens if you create a new tweet with that hashtag?

Get in Touch