A quick update on some more environmental links:
- If you’ve not already visited Winchester Action on Climate Change, please do! They’re currently trying to get as many people as possible to measure their carbon footprint and then publish it. It makes interesting reading. I’ve done it – and once I’d recovered from the shock, it was definitely worth doing and gave good guidance on how to cut my carbon. The site also got a good write-up from John Grant’s GREENORMAL blog recently which was also very encouraging.
- If you were as horrified as I was by the Government’s decision to go ahead with Heathrow’s third runway, you may want to sign up for a bit of land at the Greenpeace website. Very satisfying (although I’m intending to get up there in person at the next suitable demonstration as well).
- The Greening Campaign is really taking off round the Winchester district. Very inspirational. Find out about the main campaign here, and the campaigns in Fulflood, Oliver’s Battery, Colden Common and Alresford.
- I had great success giving Owl electricity monitors to my brothers and sisters. It’s a nifty handheld monitor that tells you how much electricity your house is using. Their children have since been charging round their houses switching things off – which can only be a good thing. If you want a cheaper option, I’ve had good experience with this plug-in power and energy monitor meter that you can buy on Amazon.
- I was very excited by the solar LED lights, presented by local company Light-Solar-LED Co. at the recent Colden Common Greening event. They have potential to dramatically reduce our energy consumption for lighting.
- During last year’s Winchester’s bike week (this year scheduled for 13th-21st June) I had a go on a Cytronex electric bike – developed by a Winchester company. They’re not cheap, but there are grants available, and very, very tempting to a regular Winchester cyclist – and if they get more people cycling rather than using the car, will make a very helpful contribution to reducing our carbon emissions!
That’s it for now. Please let me know if there are any other sites (or green things) you think I should link to.