Despite the torrential rain and engineering works on the trains and the relatively short notice, it was standing room only at the Tower on Sunday when Nick and Chris came to Hampshire to ask for local members’ support.
Nick and Chris were on top form – and everyone came out feeling really inspired. Whoever wins, it’s clear we will continue to lead the way on the environment, civil liberties and internationalism, but they also put forward thought-provoking and constructive views on issues like affordable housing and education. They were both so good that I’m not sure that they made it easier for people to choose between them!
Topics covered included:
- Devolution for England and modernising Britain’s constitution
- Affordable housing
- Education for children in local public care and who have special needs
- Nuclear Power
- Prisons & the Justice System
- Foreign policy, including Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine and our relations with the United States
- Policies for students and young people
- Whether they intended to offer each other roles as front bench spokespeople
Chris and Nick also met Tower Arts campaigners and signed the petition backing the Tower Arts Centre.